Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Wedding Planning: What I've learned!

It's been a fun experience planning my wedding, but I don't think I'm like every other bride. I have a definite advantage having worked in the wedding industry for the last 4 years.


No, having my entire wedding planned within a month is definitely not normal, but it's very possible. The key for me was knowing what to do first, how to organize my thoughts/vision & lastly, and possibly the most important thing: remembering my own voice through the planning process.


So how did I do it? Let's break those last 3 things down a bit more:


1. What to do first?: Prioritize!

The key to prioritizing tasks is to first break your wedding day down into parts; focusing on choosing month, day, ceremony location, reception location & then taking each part and breaking it down into smaller sub groups such as: time of day, ceremony details and reception details. Once this is done, you will be able to see your day in it's entirety & you won't be stressed you out.


Breaking down your day, and conquering these first larger tasks will make you feel secure, allowing all the details to work themselves out and fall into place.


It may seem like a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the end.


2. Organizing your thoughts/vision!

It's true, I am an over-organizer. I just can't help it, it's how I clear my brain. When my life is in perfect little sub-departments, I am at my happiest! haha! Though my organizational needs may seem crazy for day to day living, they are perfect for wedding planning!


So you've searched the web, read lots of blogs, flipped through wedding magazines, and you have all of these ideas floating around in your brain, what do you DO with them? How do you fit them all together?


Make a Wedding Folder.  

Mine is purple. And it's where I keep everything wedding related. I have a section for receipts, vendor information, guest list & to-do list. If it's wedding related, it's in my folder. I also carry my checkbook, calculator & pen in this folder, so I am always ready to wheel & deal. 

This folder will be your best friend & will help keep all of your thoughts in one place. 


3. Remembering your own voice: How to handle advice!

From the moment the news went up on Facebook that I was engaged, I have received ideas & opinions from everyone I've ever known & even some people I don't know! 

Everyone loves a wedding, and everyone wants to be involved, but the hard truth is: This is your wedding, and you deserve to have it the way you've always dreamed. Not the way your best friend, mother, or in-law always dreamed. 

This can be one of the hardest parts of planning a wedding, because no one wants to hurt anyone, or ignore someone's advice, but in the end, it really is up to you to enforce your vision and make your voice heard.


Get your family & friends involved, and once they see your vision, I promise they will want to support you in that. 


I'm certainly not an expert, but these are the things I've learned while planning, and I hope these thoughts will help one of you brides to be.


Happy Planning!














No comments:

Post a Comment