Monday, February 13, 2012

Historic Post Cards

Some people think that I only do photography, and while photography is a large part of my job, I'm also trained in other forms of fine art, such as: graphic design, print making, painting, sketching & typography.

I received my bachelors degree in Fine Art, which means for 4 years, I lived in the studio, soaking up as much information as I could, and basically living & breathing art. From Art History to textiles, I loved everything about fine art. I remember my adviser laughing with me, when it was finally time to graduate, and we were counting up all my art credits, that I had taken enough courses to get my masters not just my undergrad degree. It's true, I took as many courses as they let me.

Some days I really miss the creative process, and being in an art studio with the freedoms to make a mess, re-visit ideas, and have every tool imaginable at my finger tips. It's not that I don't love what I'm doing now, but some days it's nice to go back to your roots & try something new.

Today I've been working on photo-restoration, and while it isn't that far of a stretch from my norm, it was nice to work on something different.  A friend of mine had these old post cards from her home town and asked if I could restore them. It's a fun project because I love the old style photography, and the history behind these post cards; they bring you back to a simpler time, and a genre of art that seems to be long forgotten.

Happy Monday, everyone, and I hope you enjoy a historic look at Hartwick, NY.





























1 comment:

  1. I love old postcards and pictures!!!

    Love this post. I also like to be creative but I never went to school for it. I should have though. However, I go in moods where I feel like doing something artsy or craftsy then I don't do it for a long time. I really wish that I learned to draw.

    I am a big idea person. I can think of all these ideas but when it comes down to actually putting them in 3D, I can't seem to do it. Or if I do try to do it, it comes out not as I was expecting. I guess I am more of a thinker than an actually doer. LOL

    ReplyDelete